There are few things so magical as the bond between horse and rider. Whether the discipline is hunter/jumper, roping or sorting, eventing or dressage, the partnership and trust is always evident. I love creating portraits that celebrate this relationship!
People occasionally ask if I will make a portrait of just the horse; perhaps surprisingly, my answer is no! My fascination lies with showing the connection and love that is so clear to see between human and horse -- a working bond that has a history going back for thousands of years. And that is what I want to focus on with my equine art work. Whether it is an up-close portrait, or a scene full of action, my equestrian portraits always celebrate that connection.
CONTACT ME: If you would like to know more about museum quality equestrian portrait, please fill out the contact form and I will respond as soon as possible.
Procedures and fees: Please scroll down to learn about the process and prices for creating a custom painted portrait of you and your horse.
1. My process begins with meeting with you and spending some time photographing my subject(s), and discussing what you wish to capture with the portrait. This process typically takes about 2-3 hours. While I prefer to do the photography myself, I will work from provided photos, if they are of high quality, and suitable in terms of lighting and composition.
2. After the photo shoot, I will choose two or three options for approval from the you. When I have approval for the pose and composition, I then take all the reference material back to my studio to create the portrait.
3. Depending on the size and number of subjects in the painting, and the amount of desired detail in the background, the process typically takes 2-3 months (that may be extended for larger/more complex paintings). Pieces that are being ordered as gifts, or with other deadlines such as a formal unveiling, should be ordered with enough time not only for the piece to be created, but also for the paint to dry enough to be framed (typically another 3-4 weeks).
Pencil drawing of a favorite photo (not a close-up portrait),
horse and rider (11x14): $600
• Person: Riding (not a close-up portrait | Horse: 3/4 to full figure: $2,500
• Person: Head/Shoulders/Hands | Horse: head or head & chest (starting at 18"x24"): $4,500
• Grand Scale Work: Person: Full figure, standing | Horse: Full figure: $7,000
Sizes vary depending on the composition.
Add 50% for each additional person or horse shown
Add 30% for very complex clothing or background
Add 30% for each small pet shown
A 50% non-refundable deposit is required at the start of a new work. Fees do not include travel expenses if needed. Final payment is due upon delivery.
Portraits are delivered unframed, and framing is not included in the fee. I am happy to assist with choosing a frame if you would like my input.